Sunday, January 13, 2008

Thing #9 - Finding Feeds

This was the most difficult thing for me so far. One could spend every waking hour surfing through mountains of web content and gain very little, if anything, from the time spent. Maybe I haven't really figured out what I'm doing yet, but I had a lot of trouble finding blogs dedicated to things that really interest me. I found most of my good blog sites with RSS feeds through other blogs that mentioned them.

A search for "Elvis" on Google Blog search yielded 12,201,422 results. The same search on Syndic8 garnered 39, though I realize I'm not comparing apples to apples. I don't really understand Technorati at this point, but I've spent several hours pouring over the links for this "thing" and I really can't spare anymore time right now.

My search on Topix.net proved a bit confusing and scary. I got some results, but in the process, had to endure the rantings of a misinformed, narcissistic, self-titled atheist, who labeled all Christians "liars" and quoted Biblical scriptures out of context. The scary part about all of this is that our students are so vulnerable and absolutely anyone has the power to sound authoritative and be horrifically influential, with potentially disastrous results. With all of the test driven, mandated curriculum, how do we have adequate time and opportunity to teach our students (and children) enough to help them become intelligent Web users? Okay, so I got a little off the subject, but the more I explore, the more I realize what a huge concern this is.

I now have seven RSS feeds in my iGoogle page. I added a couple of technology blogs that I found through this search. I will try to remember to check them for several days so I can figure out how many I can actually keep up with. I guess the Google Blog Search was the easiest, but I didn't find any of them terribly user friendly.

No comments: