Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Thing #14 - Library 2.0

Wow! I'm shocked by how quickly I've integrated some of these tools into my life. I find myself sitting at my work computer during my lunch break (I know, I know, but I have to grab time where I can right now) reading Library 2.0 articles, when suddenly, I'm looking for items on my iGoogle page that let me quickly save notes and web pages. I'm aggravated that my iGoggle page isn't readily available at work, because it saves me time and hassle. Since I can only grab a few minutes here and there, overriding the filter every hour doesn't work too well. But the point is, I'm irritated because I don't have ready access to tools that I didn't know existed a few weeks ago! Think how our students must feel when they come to school and we shut them off from every form of communication they view as essential and tell them they must do things our way. I've had a definite AhHa moment. So, back to the articles that I must save and organize the old fashioned way. . .

Nicholson Memorial Library is doing a good job trying to meet user needs. Their website and search engines could use some revision, since searches with certain specific criteria are impossible to perform (such as "only" audio books available on CD), but the changes they're incorporating are perfect examples of a library striving to meet patrons' needs and the challenges that arise from that. For example, I listen to as many audio books (on CD) as I can find in the library system because they're expensive to buy and my car stereo won't play newer formats. While there are ways around this problem, none are great options. In keeping with new technologies though, the library buys fewer and fewer books on CD and offers many more digital audio books, many of which come without permissions. So, I can sit in front of my home computer and listen to downloaded audio books. Perfect . . . This scenario is just one of the many libraries face when making numerous decisions about where to invest their dollars.

Speaking of where to invest dollars, Rick Anderson questions why libraries are still using so many tools that require patron training when they don't have staff available to perform those services. Hmmm. . .reminds me a lot of our attempts to integrate technology into K-12 curriculum. He also suggests we no longer have a need for "just in case" collections. These issues are huge considerations for both public and school libraries. With limited funds, great care must be taken to insure money is spent for the most valuable tools. In elementary schools, especially, print materials are still very important because students are learning to read. Pulling information from a book is easier for young students than garnering facts from a computer screen. There's a great article about this somewhere, but I may never find it again because I didn't have iGoogle tools back then.

If you're still reading this, I applaud your tenacity, though you may be a bit masochistic. To sum up my thoughts, I agree with the librarians who are afraid of user-altered content. It's a scary proposition. Uneducated information consumers surfing the Web can certainly be led to believe that truth is subjective. Now that's an unsettling thought. History, however, shows us that consumer demands will be met or establishments will fall. Libraries have no choice but to offer in-demand products if they want to survive. Sounds good to me, but I want my print books along with my DeliciousiGoogleNing!

No comments: