Saturday, January 12, 2008

Thing #8 - RSS

I like the fact that I can receive updates to Mary's posts on Bloglines, because I NEVER remember to check it or how to get into it. I realize I will still have to remember to check it, but now the headlines are right on my iGoogle page. Granted, it would be much better if I could access that page at work without getting through several filters. I set up four library blogs and one Elvis news blog that will keep me informed about upcoming Elvis week events. The most difficult part of the whole thing was finding sites I check regularly that had RSS feeds. Most did not. Even though this post is short, the preparation took several hours!

I don't think this is very usable in elementary school because of the filters. Someone mentioned using it for news in a civics class, (sorry I can't remember who) and I thought that was a great idea if the filter is not an issue. Otherwise, I think the best use for RSS feeds is to keep up with professional information and subjects of personal interest.

Libraries can set up RSS feeds to keep patrons updated on special events, new releases, etc. I checked the Nicholson Memorial Library System but was disappointed to find that they didn't have a feed.

1 comment:

mmw said...

Are you finding that you can't read your Bloglines subscriptions at school? I know we have a problem with Google Reader and the filter, but I thought Bloglines had been allowed, so that you could read posts through that without having to override.