Friday, January 18, 2008

Thing #17 - Web-based Applications


Zoho Writer Page

  • Formatting tools are somewhat different from Word, so there is a learning curve.
  • I love the built-in smiley faces! laughing
  • Export options are fantastic. I'll have to see how easy they are to use when I finish this document.
  • It's fantastic having all the formatting buttons right there in front of me. smile
  • I need more smiley's to choose from. They may be available - I just have to find them.
  • I can think of many uses for this tool without even trying!
  • I inserted a picture below this text and chose "shrink to fit." My image was huge and then it just disappeared. Okay, that didn't work like it does in Word.
  • I'm finding formatting to be quite a bit more difficult. Are there significantly fewer options than Word, or have I just not found them yet? Hm...yell
  • I saved my document - I'm just not sure where! I guess it's on the Zoho server under my log-in??
  • I'm still trying to get the hang of tags. I'm very dependent on folders for organization.

P.S. This didn't work as well as I'd hoped. I'm having a lot of formatting issues. The bulleted part of the post was created and published through Zoho, but not all of the formatting showed up. My original document has a lovely lilac background which refuses to appear in my blog. The Smileys look great in my orginal document, but are placed strangely and have funny squares around them here. And why does the document title have that dotted line around it? Sigh. . .even the most seemingly user-friendly tools pose time-consuming problems.

My initial reaction to this tool was that it would save a ton of time and trouble with collaborative editing tasks. My mom and I frequently edit each others' important documents, which is always problematic through email. Right now, the jury is still out on whether or not the Zoho writer includes enough formatting options to replace our current system. I'll need to keep exploring before reaching my final conclusion.

No comments: