Monday, October 22, 2007

Thing #2 - 7 1/2 Habits

For me, the easiest habit of the 7 1/2 is probably #7, teaching and mentoring others. I teach technology as well as other things on a daily basis. It has always been natural and easy for me to have a good repoire with students of all ages. However, a close 2nd is habit #2, which is "Accept responsibility for your own learning." Since one is rarely given time to learn new skills "on the clock" in the educational work place (this day being a huge exception), willingness to accept the fact that you need to be the best for your students and most of the preparation will be done on your own time and often your own initiative is very helpful to managing one's mental state!

The most difficult item for me is #7 1/2, or "playing." Now don't get me wrong, I love to play and this is the best staff development day I can remember, but generally speaking, there is no time for playing. I needed whatever skill I'm trying to master yesterday, and there is a feeling of continually swimming upstream as the current gets stronger.

1 comment:

Debbie said...

And don't you think you learn even more by teaching? I think we have to make time for play. Think of it as self development instead of staff development.

Keep up the good work!