Saturday, January 19, 2008

Thing #19 - Flowcharts & Mindmaps

Bubbl.us is great for creating fast, simple bubble maps. It's easier to use than Kidspiration and Inspiration, requiring little or no practice to get it right. "Auto Help" shows up automatically off to the side as you're working, so it stays out of the way. Terrific idea that provided all the help I needed. The only downside of note is the lack of a spell checker - at least I didn't find one. There aren't any pictures either, but many times none are needed. I created a simple bubble map, but the tool lends itself to numerous arrangements. "Parent," "Child," and "Sibling" connection options add humor and make it really easy to keep relationships straight. I also enjoyed the explosions when deleting items. It doesn't get much easier than this! Fun tool to use with kids because there's virtually no learning curve.


Click Bubble Map for larger image.

I used Gliffy to check out flowchart tools because I'm still waiting on an invitation from Flowchart.com. I have used plenty of flow charts, but I haven't created one in a very long time. Gliffy looked intimidating, especially after the incredibly simple interface at Bubbl.us. Following my initial negative reaction, I began using the tool and quickly learned how some of the simple flowchart tools work. It took awhile to create my chart, but I didn't need any help to document my path through my personal 2.0 Journey.

If I were needing a flowchart for presentation purposes, this would be a good tool to use. They claim it's free, but you are only allowed to create five "public" documents. From what I can gather, you have to purchase upgraded service to create "private" documents, so your free privileges expire after five documents. The yearly fee is only $30, and is discounted to $20 through January.

Click Flowchart for larger image.

Bottom line, I was dreading this assignment because it screamed "boring." Much to my surprise, I enjoyed the time spent playing with both websites and recommend them to anyone needing such tools. They would not be difficult to use with students of many different ages for numerous purposes.


No comments: